Check for the latest employment opportunities here.
Position Description: Match Support Specialist
Employment Status: Full-time/Non-Exempt
The Match Support Specialist is responsible for all service delivery components with volunteers and youth, and their families. The ideal candidate demonstrates an ability to be both a savvy business partner with the community, as well as a thorough case manager working with youth. The primary functions are match support (monthly, on-going coaching) and counseling and relationship supervision. All team members participate in recruiting volunteers as mentors, maintaining relationships with potential volunteer organizations and businesses, providing orientation and training sessions to volunteers and other duties as related to public relations and fundraising efforts. Possibly able to work from home after training period completed.
Candidates must possess the following:
• Belief in our vision: that all children achieve success in life;
• Experience working with youth and volunteer services;
• Experience supervising employees and/or project teams;
• Strong interviewing and organizational skills;
• Ability to make professional judgments and incorporate them into written reports;
• Ability to have genuine and open interpersonal communications;
• Ability to work in a fast-paced office environment, utilizing a variety of technologies;
• Comfort with public speaking, recruitment of volunteers and delivering training;
• Ability to contribute and participate in a team structure;
• Desire to make a positive community impact, through proven1-to-1mentoring services.
• Success leading and supervising at least one other employee in a professional setting;
• Success with public relations and salesmanship with business supporters;
• Experience with contract deliverables.
Computer and Internet: All service delivery components are captured in a web-based performance management and database system, requiring a high level of comfort with internet-based systems. The system facilitates a highly transparent outcome-based delivery of services, with real-time metrics reporting, which tracks work performed. Data is reviewed on a regular basis and reported to the national office to maintain compliance with Big Brothers Big Sisters performance expectations.
• Continually assess the match relationship focusing on: child safety, match relationship development, positive youth development, and volunteer satisfaction. Real and/or potential problems and barriers are identified, addressed, and resolved as early as possible.
• Assess and provide for individual training needs, information and support needs for each match participant to assure a positive youth development experience for the child and successful and satisfying experience for the volunteer
• Maintain a regular schedule of follow up contact, supervision, support and counseling to all parties in the match.
• Ensure high-level expertise in applying child safety and risk management knowledge, policies, and procedures throughout all aspects of job function
• Develop strategic interventions to identify and strengthen match relationships that require extra support to continue to grow.
• Conduct public speaking and volunteer orientation and training sessions.
• Complete all required Big Brothers Big Sisters online and in-person training modules.
• Precisely complete monthly required grant reports generated mainly in Excel.
• Work closely with the Program team to maximize operational efficiencies and to meet performance goals.
• Inspire and engage all partners and participants to meet grant deliverables in a timely and urgent manner.
• Recruit and promote the mission of the agency at community functions, to strengthen accessibility to volunteer rich pools.
• Work hours are generally 9:30am-6:30pm. Some late evening or weekend hours are necessary to meet the goals of our agency.
• Other duties as determined by the CEO and/or Program Director.
Job Skills and Knowledge Required:
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel.
• Proficiency with web-based performance management and database tools.
• Strong organizational and time management skills including the ability to set and meet deadlines.
• Strong interview skills that put interviewees at ease build rapport and at the same time gather pertinent data, as needed, of a sensitive and personal nature.
• Ability to supervise others and projects to meet grant deliverables in a timely manner.
• Ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing, concisely with clarity, warmth, humor and tact. A writing and/or presentation sample will be expected prior to hiring.
• Ability to focus on details, while keeping the “big picture” in perspective.
• Entrepreneurial and performance metrics savvy.
• Knowledge of the dynamics of adult abusive behavior, both physical and sexual.
This position answers directly to the assigned Program Manager. In the absence of the Program Manager, this position answers to the Program Director.
1. Customer/Client Focus—Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of fellow staff, volunteers, children, parents and agency partners; talks and acts with them in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationship with customers/clients and gains their trust and respect; views her/his role as adding value to the experience of volunteers and children in their match relationship; creates and seizes opportunities to match customer interest with program options; answers detailed questions about program options, builds parental support for the match; deals effectively with diversity, demonstrates high degree of flexibility and adaptability, displays enthusiasm and commitment; maintains a positive “can-do” attitude.
2. Rapport Building— Relates well to all kinds of people; builds appropriate rapport; is approachable; puts others at ease; is sensitive to and patient with the needs and interests of others; maintains constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; capable of diffusing difficult situations comfortably; is able to effectively manage frustration.
3. Listening—Practices attentive and active listening; has the patience to hear people out, can accurately restate the explanations and opinions of others, both verbally and in writing.
4. Professional Assessment Skills—Can clearly articulate the strengths and limitations of people with regard to how they might influence BBBS match relationships; can accurately project what various people are likely to do across a variety of situations; asks relevant questions and probes all possible sources for answers; identifies incomplete information and makes efforts to obtain greater understanding when necessary. Makes evidence-based and informed decisions.
5. Results/Outcome Oriented--Is motivated by results; can be counted on to meet and exceed goals successfully; pushes self to obtain desired outcomes; sets clear objectives and measures, monitors process and progress.
6. Organizing—Can marshal resources to get things done; orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources effectively and efficiently; arranges information and files in a useful manner; follows established process.
7. Priority Setting—Spends his/her time and the time of others on work that is most critical and relevant to the BBBS mission; able to quickly identify most important and pressing tasks, can quickly sense factors that will either help or hinder goal accomplishment; eliminates roadblocks; creates and sustains focus.
Preferred Bachelor’s degree in social services, human services or related field. A two year AA degree plus two year of work experience will also be considered. Those anticipating obtaining a BS/BA within 60 days will also be considered. Experience working with both child and adult populations; specific assessment, intake or interview experience preferred. Proficiency in Microsoft Office; including Word, Excel and Access is desired. Must have car, valid driver’s license, and meet state required automobile insurance minimums. Must be able to pass a criminal background check as conducted by the agency.
Required Skills and Abilities
Excellent oral and written communication skills reflecting solid customer service and high-level interviewing skills; ability to form appropriate assessment-based relationships; relate well in multicultural environments; maintain confidentiality throughout daily operations; effectively collaborate with other staff; manage time effectively; and focus on details. Ability to collect meaningful data and draw solid conclusions. Able to work in an office or home environment as well as to travel to local communities and neighborhoods to perform home visitation as necessary. Able to work flexible hours to meet customer/client needs.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of: Database Software (Access); Internet Software; Word Processing Software (Word) and Electronic Mail Software (Outlook).
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Remain calm and professional in stressful situations.
- Friendly, courteous, service-oriented, and flexible and enjoy working with a variety of staff.
- Detail-oriented and work effectively under pressure while meeting all applicable deadlines.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external organizations, groups, team members and individuals.
- Dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of fellow staff, volunteers, children, parents and agency partners.
- Demonstrates high degree of flexibility and adaptability, displays enthusiasm and commitment; maintains a positive “can-do” attitude.
- Prior leadership experience and demonstrated ability to meet and exceed specific goals
- Ability to build rapport with customers/clients; relate well in multicultural environments; maintain confidentiality throughout daily operations; effectively collaborate with other staff; manage time effectively; and focus on details.
- Ability to collect meaningful data and draw solid conclusions.
- Able to work in an office or home environment as well as to travel to local communities and neighborhoods; Able to work flexible hours to meet customer/client needs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.Equal Employment Opportunity- Big Brothers Big Sisters provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, or non-disqualifying physical or mental disability.
Americans with Disabilities Act- Applicants as well as employees who are or become disabled must be able to perform the essential duties & responsibilities either unaided or with reasonable accommodation. The organization shall determine reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law.
Job Responsibilities- The above statements reflect the general duties, responsibilities and competencies considered necessary to perform the essential duties & responsibilities of the job and should not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. Big Brothers Big Sisters may change the specific job duties with or without prior notice based on the needs of the organization.