It may sound obvious, but sometimes the best place to help a child realize their potential is at school. Kids enjoy having their Bigs meet with them there, whether it’s in the classroom or on the playground. And parents know what a positive impact it makes.
Some of the biggest supporters of our School-Based Mentoring program are actually teachers. They see students come back from their time with their Big filled with confidence, smiling big, ready to learn and eager to succeed.
Learning about life.
Although it takes place at schools, our School-Based Mentoring program isn’t limited to the classroom. Of course, some Littles do talk with their Bigs about class, or do homework, or read together, but it’s perfectly fine to shoot hoops in the gym or play on the playground. At the end of the day, it's really all about starting a friendship, providing guidance and inspiring them to reach their potential.
At Big Brothers Big Sisters, we have tremendous confidence in our ability to impact children and put them on the right path. But it means even more when an outside study comes to the same conclusion. Click to learn more about our Nationwide School-Based Mentoring Study.
School Based Program Requirements
(1) attend one of the four schools listed below,
(2) must be at least six years of age,
(3) must have a permission slip signed by a parent or legal guardian, and
(4) must agree to having contact with a Big Brothers Big Sisters employee on a monthly basis for the life of his or her match.
(1) Volunteers must be able to meet the child at their school for at least one hour a week during the school year.
(2)Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age,
(3) submit an application, complete an interview with agency staff, and pass several background checks.
Schools We Serve
Astoria Park Elementary
2465 Atlas Rd, Tallahassee, FL 32303
2204 Saxon St, Tallahassee, FL 32310
1414 Chowkeebin Nene, Tallahassee, FL 32301
Oak Ridge Elementary
4530 Shelfer Rd, Tallahassee, FL 32305