We’re always looking for people eager to positively impact a child and improve their community at the same time. And, right now is no different. Big Brothers are in high demand. So, Start Something.
For a few hours, a couple times a month, you can give a Little the invaluable gift of your friendship. By simply changing their perspective of what the world can offer, you can literally start changing their lives. And sometimes it’s as simple as playing video games, going to a museum, or just hanging out together.
Why do we need Big Brothers?
More than 70% of our children waiting for a Big are boys, but only 3 out of every 10 inquiries to volunteer come from men. Research shows that having the positive influence of a Big Brother makes a real difference in a boy's life. So join the hundreds of thousands of volunteers that give a young person someone to look up to. And learn why so many are now saying, “I get back so much more than I give.”
A call to men of color.
Disproportionately the children we serve and those waiting to be matched are African-American and Hispanic boys. Their parents seek our support, knowing a Big Brother can recognize their son's potential and model positive choices that put him on the path for success in and out of school.
But don’t just take it from us. Check out some Big Impact Match Stories of Bigs & Littles right here. And if you still have questions, head over to our Big FAQs for more answers.
Basic Volunteer Requirements
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be willing to commit to meeting regularly with your Little (at least four hours per month) for at least a full calendar year from the date you are matched.
- Decide whether you’d like to participate in the community-based program or school-based program.
- Attend a volunteer orientation session at our office
- Take our required online Pre-match training course (at your own pace from anywhere)
- Provide three to four references with whom our agency can speak by phone and consent to a background check.
- You must be willing to come to our office, located at 565 E. Tennessee St in Tallahassee, for an extended personal interview.